Johanna Hignett provides some fascinating facts and stats about when, where and what we most like to eat for lunch
• Most of us eat lunch in the middle of the day, around 12.30pm
• The average lunch break lasts around 28 minutes
• One quarter of workers eat lunch at their desk and 6 out of 10 skip lunch and graze on snacks instead
• Free school meals for children in infant classes means that about 85% of younger children enjoy a hot school lunch every day.
• Most people buy lunch out of home 4 in 10 prepare it beforehand
• Only 17% of British employees take their full lunch break. 12% never, or hardly ever, take a lunch break
• The most common lunch item is the humble sandwich, with cheese, ham and chicken being favourite fillings.